Brief History of Bristol Harlequins RFC
Bristol Harlequins RFC is an amateur English rugby union team based in Bristol suburb of Brislington. The club currently runs two senior sides and a Vets team as well as a full range of junior and mini teams.
In the 1870's there existed 12 clubs (Redland Park, Westbury Park, Bedminster, Rockleaze, Carlton Arabs, Harlequins, Hornets, Oakfield, Vauxhall Rangers, Bristol Swifts, Bristol Rangers, and Clifton.) Clifton was the senior side because they were the only side to have their own ground, but most of the clubs played on the Downs or farmland.
1890 the Bristol and District Football Union was founded with about 26 clubs formed, however not all of the original 12 clubs survived. Bristol Harlequins rented a piece of ground at Eastville farmland until Bristol Rovers came along in 1893. Quins who were doing so well packed up.
1926 Wick Road School who had played soccer for so long decided to play rugby. They rented land at Walsh Farm, Knowle which is now Walsh Road. 1929 the school decided to return to soccer, but the rest carried on as Old Wickonians until 1938.
Play was suspended 1939-45 because of the World War 2. 1946 we regrouped as Bristol Harlequins RFC from the original Bristol Harlequins name of 1870.
1950-51 season, we bought and wore our own club colours for the first time. We could not afford our own club colours, so we bought second hand from Georges Brewery RFC and removed the white horse. Georges Brewery RFC are now defunct.
Our colours are the Duke of Beauforts Blue, Black and White. After 63 years and playing on 7 different rented pitches we have our own ground, clubhouse and pitches, making the 8th pitch our own to play on. We have come a long way from an old tin hut with no water. To a fine clubhouse with press button showers, bar and committee room and excellent modern facilities.